Benefits of interval training

12 juni 2016

I used to be all about long distance running. Each week I tried to run more kilometers than the week before. I got injured because I was running 4-5 days a week with bad shoes. Please, invest in a good pair of running shoes. I can’t stress this enough. Beside the fact that I got injured, I also got really bored. I decided to switch things up and start interval training.

Interval training is a workout where you alternate between a short period of high intensity and an equal or longer period of low intensity. For example, run for 1 minute at a high pace and 2 minutes at a low pace. This counts as 1 set. Recover and catch your breath during the low interval. If this means you have to walk, just walk, it doesn’t matter. You’ll get better at it and recover faster after a while. You just have to make sure you can give it your all during the high interval. Don’t forget to warm up and cool down!

This kind of training has a lot of benefits. First of all, it doesn’t take a lot of time. An average interval training takes 20-30 minutes (warm up and cool down not included). If you’re on a tight schedule, this workout is perfect for you. Alternating between a high and low interval will also boost your endurance more than long distance runs. It helps you burn fat faster and boosts your metabolism. What’s more, interval training is very versatile. You can incorporate skipping, cycling or even bodyweight movements like burpees.

I complete one interval training every week. It’s part of my fitness regime because I want to boost my overall health. How many times you should do it depends on your goals. If you want to become a better runner for example, you can do it 2-3 times a week.


Here are some example interval workouts:

- 2 minutes slow, 1 minute fast x10

- 1 minute slow, 1 minute fast x10

- 3 minutes slow, 2 minutes fast x4

Warm up before and cool down after every workout ;)



Kisses,

JVh