Quinoa sushi

21 juli 2016


I think it's pretty safe to say I'm addicted to sushi. Unfortunately, it can be a little expensive in a restaurant.  I tried to make my own sushi a couple of weeks ago, with quinoa instead of sushi rice. It takes sooo long to make sushi rice..And quinoa contains a lot of vitamins and minerals such as iron and magnesium, it's like a healthier version of sushi!

It's not so easy to make your own sushi, especially with quinoa because it's not as sticky as sushi rice. So once in a while, when you finished a beautiful roll, you try to cut it into peaces and everything falls out.. But practice makes perfect! Not that mine are perfect, but I'm getting there.

INGREDIENTS
- quinoa
- nori sheets
- carrots
- avocado
- cucumber
- red cabbage
- surimi
- shrimps

I didn't use quantities because you can add as much as you want of each ingredient in your sushi.




PREPARATION
1. Cook the quinoa for 10 minutes and let it rest for 5 more minutes. Drain if necessary and let it cool in the fridge for a while. I cooked my quinoa in the morning so I could have nice fresh sushi for lunch.

2. Slice all the ingredients (except for the nori sheets ofcourse) into small strips.

3. You can use a bamboo mat for rolling your sushi but I prefer rolling without one. Place a nori sheet (shiny side down) on your table, Cover bottom three-quarters of the nori sheet with a layer of quinoa, leaving the top quarter of the sheet empty.

4. Place some vegetables and fish horizontally in the middle of the quinoa layer. You can mix and match, some examples:
- avocado and shrimp/surimi
- carrot and shrimp/surimi
- red cabbage, cucumber and carrot (veggie)
- red cabbage, avocado and shrimp

5. Now the hardest part: rolling. I can't really explain how to roll sushi. Just try to keep your ingredients in place with your fingers while you're rolling. Dip your fingers into some water and apply to the top of your nori sheet. It will make it more sticky so your roll stays together.

6. Cut the roll into rounds of 1-2cm.

7. Serve with soy sauce and enjoy!