Right workout clothes: why it is important

29 juli 2016

What to wear or not to wear, that’s the question

When I started my fitness journey, I wore sweatpants and big t-shirts to work out. I didn’t want to spend money on clothes that would be covered in sweat all the time. And now, most of my money goes to workout gear. I’ve learned about the importance of the right workout clothes the hard way: I got injured and had to start all over from scratch. I’m writing this article because I don’t want others to go through the same thing. I still see people running in shoes like All stars and doing plyometric exercises wearing a sports bra that gives no support at all. This shows that some people don’t know what I’m about to tell you.

There are a couple of reasons why wearing the right clothes is important:

  • safety/prevent injury

I got injured by running with bad shoes that didn’t give my feet the support they needed. I simply bought pretty cheap running shoes that looked nice. A few months later I couldn’t walk without feeling pain in my lower legs. The first thing you have to do when you want to start running, or any other form of exercise, is buying good shoes. I can’t stress this enough. Go to a professional shop where they can help you find the right shoes. It’s more expensive but it’s worth it. Bad shoes can and will cause injuries. For women, it's also important to buy a sports bra that fits well to avoid back pain. 

Buy clothing that work best for the type of exercise you do. Loose clothing, for example, can get caught in machines or other equipment. This isn’t only dangerous, it can also prevent you from doing your exercise right.

  • Comfort

Workout clothes have to be comfortable. Clothes that are too tight can cause breathing problems. In summer, it’s best to wear clothes that keep you cool and dry during your training. In winter, it’s best to wear something that keeps you warm but doesn’t hold you back.

You will only be able to give it your all when you feel comfortable with what you’re wearing. Keep your goal in mind when you’re buying a new outfit. It’s normal you have to pay a little more for something of quality.

  • Confidence

What you’re wearing should make you feel confident and not hold you back. When it comes to sports bras for example, keep in mind that the pretty ones are sometimes not the ones that give enough support. Luckily, this is changing. More and more sportswear brands sell really beautiful sports bras (and other workout gear) that are at the same time comfortable and supportive. I usually wear bras from H&M or Forever21 when I’m doing yoga, pilates etc. and bras from Nike or Adidas (the high impact ones) when I’m doing strength training or when I go for a run.

Wear something that makes you look and feel good when you're working out. The right clothes can actually improve your performance, believe me.