Staying fit on vacation

14 juli 2016


It's a personal choice ofcourse I you want to stay active or take some time off from working out when you're on vacation. I'm one of those people who get's a little frustrated when I don't get my daily exercise. I prefer doing a short workout before heading to the beach. It makes me feel more confident. I'm also one of those people who eats their own bodyweight in icecream when I'm on a holiday. It's not my fault they sell all these amazing flavours like oreo, nutella and kinderbueno two minutes away from my camping. I just had to try them all. So I also workout to keep balance, because I kinda eat a lot.

I admit it isn't always easy. It's tempting to lay by the pool all day, you also don't have the same equipment and the weather is probably a little different than what you're used to. I collected some tips for you so you can stay as active as you want on your next vacation!


  • one of the first things I do when I arrive at my destination is taking a big walk. Not only to loosen my legs after the journey but also to explore the neighbourhood. Maybe there's a gym nearby? Or a playground? (you can do great workouts on a playground - see video below) Is there a pool where I can go swimming? Maybe there's a dike where I can go jogging? Look around, you can for example do a whole workout using a simple bench (see video below).






  • I usually go on vacation to countries where it's hotter than in Belgium. Give your body some time to adapt to the weather conditions. Take a little step back during your workout the first day(s). I prefer to exercise in the morning or late in the evening because it's just too hot in the middle of the day. 

  • Make sure you stay hydrated, drink a lot of water! You won't be able to do a proper workout if you don't drink enough water.

  • Don't forget to use sunscreen. You won't notice you're burning while you're swimming but you'll definitely look like a lobster that same evening.. 

  • Not having the same equipment gives you the chance to challenge your body in a different way than you're used to. If there's a swimming pool, you can go swimming. I LOVE swimming myself, it's a great cardio workout that incorporates a lot of muscles. You can also go roller skating. Believe me, it's a real workout if you do it long enough ;) Or go cycling! There are so many options.

  • It doesn't always have to be a sweaty workout. I did some morning yoga on the beach and it gave me the best feeling. Go for walks, take the stairs instead of the elevator etc. 

  • Make sure you rest enough, you're still on vacation. Taking a day off will do you good. Enjoy some time away from your daily routine.
Enjoy your vacation!
Kisses,

JVh