(No-bake) coconut cranberry protein bars

16 augustus 2016
 
 
I know it's been a while since I've posted something. Three more days to go and then I'm FREE again. Well kinda.. Two weeks of doing the most boring job in the world will be over but I have to start studying for my re-examination. Don't worry, I'll still have plenty of time to blog and work on a couple of projects I have in my mind. I did make a lot of healthy good stuff the past two weeks so there are some recipes coming your way!

I'll start with these homemade protein bars. Most protein bars contain nuts and as I told you before; my brother is allergic to nuts. So I experimented a little with coconut and dried cranberries.

They are great as a pre-workout snack. One of the main ingredients are dates. Dates are high in natural sugar so they're are a real energy booster. I always feel like a machine when I had some before a workout. But of course, you can also eat them as a regular or post-workout snack. My mom even had them for dessert.




INGREDIENTS (10-12 bars)
- 180gr pitted dates
- 150ml coconut milk
- 50gr coconut protein powder (I used Smart Protein from bodyenfitshop.nl)
- 50gr shredded coconut
- 90gr fine oats
- 40gr dried cranberries


PREPARATION
1. Mash the dates and the coconut milk with an immersion blender together in a bowl. You can also use a food processor of course, but I don't have one (sad life) so it's perfectly achievable without one. It simply takes some more time and it's a bit harder with an immersion blender.
2. Add the protein powder an shredded coconut and mix well.
3. Add the fine oats. You'll notice your mixture will become a little dry and hard to stirr. I used my hands to knead it and make sure everything is well mixed.
4. At last, spoon the dried cranberries into the mixture.
5. Spread the mixture in a square pan. Press the mixture down, cover with a foil and refrigerate overnight.
6. Slice into bars and store in an airtight container in a refrigerator.